Monday 4 May 2020

Software - after Graduation

Due to the current Covi-19 situation, getting any job may prove to be difficult. Therefore, I am considering Software alternatives to Adobe Suite:

Pros: Affordable and serves the purpose.
Cons: Portfolio and CV - may not be versatile across the animation industry

RoughAnimator https://roughanimator.com/ Practical for animatic? Yes, it supports audio and works frame by frame with the image. https://roughanimator.com/userguide-windows/ Cost £4.99, works on Windows and Android, perfect.

Dragonframe I will also need to upgrade my student license to a professional one. As a stop-motion generalist, this is one thing I do have to pay for to be able to continue with a professional standard of stop-motion animation. I have Stop Motion Studio on my phone bud sadly I could not make it work with my DSLR camera on my PC.

Corel Draw suite - fixed price (£599), not affordable at the moment but it is a one-off payment that could be worth investing into for making production bible, advertising material etc.

Storyboarder Pro - fantastic piece of software, again, a little bit too expensive for an annual or monthly subscription for me to pay out of my own pocket, however, there is an option for a permanent license and is worth considering for when I earn money with animation or if I ever want to set up a studio (1030USD).

My work in Toon Boom Storyboard Pro, working on J. Leece's project

Storyboarder is definitely not as good with tools and brushes, however, it does have timing for scenes, script and dialogue can be imported and scenes can be exported for Premiere or FCP (Mac-only software). It is easy to use and free.

My work in Storyboarder software, commissioned project

Replacement for Premiere Pro - Out of all these software, I may start using Premiere Rush for its similarity and compatibility with Premiere Pro (good for collaborations), and start learning Da Vinci Resolve for a long term use.

This is also an option, NCH Software. Though my objection was the way a different combination of bundles are priced - it did not feel trustworthy to me. So would need to read reviews from stop motion animators to see what they have to say about it.

Also, one crucial part, for me as a stop-motion animator is the ability to import and edit sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment