Tuesday 5 May 2020

Heureka! I want to be an animator

Anxiety-driven Procrastination or Professional Practice?
After two weeks of lockdown and countless times my boyfriend has played and sung his own interpretations of Matt Lucas' 2020 version of Thank You Baked Potato, I could see a purpose in making an animated response to this oh-so-popular song that has already raised a decent amount of money for the NHS. All thanks to Matt Lucas' tireless engagement with his audience. 

I have just been going through a little crisis because I got the opportunity to make a spare room into my workspace less than 2 weeks before the lockdown but it needed rearranging for the second time. It was time-consuming to make it functional but it is a space where I plan to animate over the year after graduation. 

I look back and still trying to argue whether I used the time wisely, could I have done better if I tried to work on my final film more over the 10 days I was making this short film? I am not sure, but I know that I have reached my absolute rock bottom in the last two weeks and this project helped me get through.

What went well?
- it got retweeted by Matt Lucas
- the film reached a satisfactory amount of audience
- more showreel material
- experience in making dog armature and puppet dressing

What went wrong?
- animating in daylight, it did not reach its potential result
- I got a visit from a huge thick-legged spider and for at least a day I thought I will never walk into that room again. I have a decent phobia. It all happened a few scenes before the film was finished and the room was messy with props and materials everywhere, making for perfect hiding spots. But I put Basil and essential Lemon-Grass oil in the room and that boosted my confidence that it won't come out again. The Basil is still alive and I normally cannot keep plants alive, but the room gives me shivers whenever I am working in there.




No comments:

Post a Comment