Sunday 9 February 2020

Study Task 2 - Future Plans Exposed

All plans include Cherry

My future plans are a bit bizarre, putting lifestyle first, but in the last three years, I have learnt a lot about myself as an artist and becoming a practitioner as well as a young adult, my needs, skills, aspirations. I have also learnt a lot about maintaining my physical and mental well being. Something I did not expect from a University student life. 

Aspirations: 


I have a love for the city of Edinburgh, it makes me feel at home. I also have an ambition to produce animated fairy tales in British Sign Language or Sign Supported English, depending on resources and connections I can build with people who know either, but eventually, hopefully, both. With already 4 years of work experience in 4 different jobs, truly, I would rather do a part-time job and leave time for making an animation I believe in and can emotionally connect with. Before I even joined the course at LAU, this was really important to me and I can see that I have still a long journey to walk before I can do commissioned work and recognise the difference between art that I do for my own emotional satisfaction and commissioned live briefs. 

Side note: I look up to Pat & Mat  (1976 - present) creators and their 130 episodes of entertaining, silly and engaging slapstick-comedy animation. In my opinion, very meaningful animation and would love to be part of similar projects if I ever get a chance in the future. Unlike Smelf the Elf series that somehow made it on Amazon Prime and left me jaw-dropped. So that is an example of work I do and  work I do not connect with. 


I would love to end up in Edinburgh

Ideally, I would like to study BSL Animation again at Postgraduate studies, it is very extensive and little-explored as I have learned through my Context of Practice in Year 1 and 2. If I could do so in Edinburgh, that would be great, but I feel that I need to scan the horizon more for the suitable University facilities and opportunities to network within the city. I am worried that I may not achieve the entry-level grades to do so (2:1), in which case, the university does also consider the portfolio and 'relevant professional experience'.


Screenshot of Entry Requirements for Masters in Fine Art, Animation at University of Edinburgh

  • Completed film - tick, The Bins and The Bees 2019 and working on my Final Film. 
  • Life drawing - tick, sessions at the Fenton Pub.
  • Storyboards - some old work, my final film storyboards are not done by me. Needs updating. 
  • Very little character design from me. I do not consider myself a character designer. Needs updating. 
  • I do have schedules for my Final Film so that is covered but will benefit from more work.  
  • I believe to have a fair range of animation techniques, I am not quite sure how much they require from a stop-motion artist so I will have to contact the University for clarification. 
  • Again, software, I  may have to clarify this with UoE to see more specific requirements. I would assume - Dragonframe, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Storyboarder Pro. 
For this I would also need to produce a film proposal and the year out of education will be perfect for doing so and to carry out networking and applications for funding. I may try developing a project proposal on Crowdfunding and look at other potential funding opportunities.

I also went to the 
Getting Animated With Young Audiences Content Fund talk at MAF 2019 and I can see this topic being relevant as they are looking for projects specifically for British audiences, however, I may be looking at younger audiences than this is focused for. It also requires a certain amount of funding to be sourced from elsewhere before applying. Also, I am not quite sure how does funding work for student projects - area for further research


So, for the upcoming year I am staying in Leeds, to continue to be part of the collective at Leeds Animation Workshop, live near my friends and family and work on my portfolio. I will be registering as a freelancer and aim to learn a thing or two about funding applications while continuing to rent out the spare room in our house as a little studio space. 

Networking:

I will continue going to Manchester Animation Festival, they do not disappoint with the amount of stop-motion orientated programme and I can afford it - location, accommodation etc.. Including great pub event, Northwestivus that has proven to be great networking event for me at MAF 2019.  I will also be going to
 LIFF and LYFF, Sheffield Documentary Festival and Aesthetica Short Film Festival.


Other festivals - it will depend on the programme and my financial situation. I may have to spend a decent amount of money and time of getting a citizenship, but if the wallet allows, I would love to go to Animarkt


I will aim to engage in Stop-Motion Forum more too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment